Student Resources

Faculty & Staff Resources

Grading Symbols

A variety of grading symbols are used at Cal Poly to indicate how well a student is able to attain the course objectives. The following symbols are the most commonly used.

Academic Symbols Attainment of Course Objectives Grade Points Earned
A Excellent 4.0
A- Excellent 3.7
B+ Good 3.3
B Good 3.0
B- Good 2.7
C+ Satisfactory 2.3
C Satisfactory 2.0
C- Satisfactory 1.7
D+ Poor 1.3
D Poor 1.0
D- Poor 0.7
F Failing 0.0
CR Credit N/A
NC No Credit N/A

Additionally administrative symbols are used when the above symbols don't apply. A detailed explanation for each symbol is given below.

Administrative Symbols Defiinition GPA
I Incomplete N/A*
RP Report in Progress N/A*
WU Withdrawal Unauthorized 0.0
W Withdrawn N/A
RD Report Delayed N/A

* RP and I grades and units are not included in your GPA calculation. If an "RP" or "I" grade becomes an "F" because you did not complete the course work in the specified time frame, the "F" will be included in your GPA calculation in the quarter in which the "RP" or "I" changes.

Incomplete (I)

An incomplete signifies that a portion of required course work has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to fully justified reasons and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. It is the student's responsibility to bring pertinent information to the instructor who will determine the means by which the remaining course requirements will be satisfied. A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated. The student is not permitted to re-enroll in the course to complete course requirements. If the student does re-enroll, the original grade of I will be counted as an F (or NC) and the re-enrollment will be processed as a repeated course. A grade of I must be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term in which it was assigned. An instructor may specify a time limitation of less than one year. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. Failure to complete the assigned work will result in the I being converted to an F (or NC) for grade point average computation. All remaining grades of I will be changed to F (or NC) at the time the student's degree is awarded.

Report In Progress (RP) (formerly 'SP'; Satisfactory Progress)

The grade of SP or RP is used in connection with courses that extend beyond one academic term. It indicates that work is in progress and has been evaluated and found to be satisfactory to date, but that assignment of a grade must await completion of additional work. Work is to be completed within a stipulated time period. The SP/RP symbol shall be replaced with the appropriate final grade within one year except for graduate degree theses for which the time may be up to three years, but may not exceed the overall time limit for completion of all master's degree requirements. Failure to complete the assigned work will result in an SP/RP being converted to a F for grade point average computation. Any extension of time limit must receive prior authorization by the dean of the school in which the student is a degree candidate. All remaining SP/RP grade symbols will be changed to F or NC at the time the student's degree is awarded.

Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU) (formerly 'U'; Unauthorized Incomplete)

A grade of U or WU indicates that a student enrolled for a course, did not withdraw from the course and failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments of course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. For purposes of grade point average computation this symbol is equivalent to an F.

Withdrawal (W)

The W grading symbol indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from the course after the regular Add/Drop period with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. It carries no adverse connotation on quality of student performance and is not used in calculating grade point averages. Between the end of the regular Add/Drop period and the last day of instruction a student must request permission to withdraw from a course by processing a petition which is available in the Records Office. The petition will be approved and withdrawal authorized only if there are serious and compelling reasons for withdrawal in the judgment of the instructor and department head. After the end of the 7th week of instruction withdrawals are permitted only if the withdrawal is based on an emergency situation clearly beyond the control of the student. In such cases a final or incomplete grade may be assigned for courses in which sufficient work has been completed to permit an evaluation to be made. The student must request permission to withdraw as specified above, or request grade assignment, both of which are subject to approval by designated campus officials. Any student who fails to provide notification or who fails to obtain formal approval to withdraw will be subject to failing grades (U or F).

Audit (AU)

A grade of AU indicates that a student was officially enrolled in class, participated in class, but was not required to be examined on course materials. Enrollment as an Auditor is subject to the permission of the instructor. An Auditor is a student who is attending courses for no credit. The student must be registered with fees paid for the quarter in which the course is to be audited. A student may enroll to audit a course during the Add/Drop period and no later than the last day to add a course. Courses enrolled for audit grades are not considered when determining enrollment status.

Report Delayed (RD)

You will be assigned this administrative grade for a course if the instructor notifies the Records Office that grade reports have been delayed by circumstances beyond his or her control. An example is the illness of the instructor at the end of the quarter. Your instructor will replace the RD grade with an academic grade as soon as possible. However, if an instructor fails to provide an academic grade within three quarters that the RD was assigned, both the RD grade and course will be removed from your records.


Valid CSS!